Monday, October 31, 2011

The Golden Rule


So, I heard something interesting this weekend.  I am having trouble remembering where I even heard it, but it has been coming back to me over and over this morning.  I have heard the Golden Rule a million times, "do unto others as you would have done to you."  I have twisted this way of thinking into my kids by asking when they do something unjust, "how would you feel if someone did that to you."  Well, this weekend, I had heard something that sparked me into a new way of thinking about the Golden Rule.

Whatever you want in life, give that to others (or yourself).

I have been mulling this phrase over in my head, and I have decided that I really like it.  If I want kindness, I have to be kind to others.  If I want patience, I have to be patient with others.  If I want someone to call me, I need to call them.  If I want someone to help me, I have to help myself.  If I want someone to love me, I have to love myself.

Wow, what a blessing.  I want to thank whoever gave me the grace to ponder this statement. I'm sad that I can't give credit to you by name, but  I do have a feeling my kids are going to hear this one a few hundred million times over the upcoming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment